Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Having a proper relationship with God

Things have been bumpy the past year or so in my life in several areas: husband, father, writer, financial provider. There have been many times where I’ve almost been in tears asking God questions like “Why?” Why doesn’t my career seem to be progressing faster? Why don’t I ever have time to get things done? Why can’t I find a job that pays the bills and allows me to write in my free time?

I have learned something about asking God “Why?” If you’re not spending time with Him daily in prayer, Bible reading and meditation, then you can’t really ask these types of questions. To pray, read the Bible and ponder on God is to draw closer to Him. And to draw closer to Him is to better understand His will for your life.

It reminds me a lot of the child who ventures off on their own, has no contact with their parents for two years, gets into some type of financial problem and calls their parents and asks for $1,000 to keep their car from being repossessed. God’s not a genie. He loves us and wants a relationship with us. Don’t wait until a crisis to spend time with God, and don’t ever get to the point where before reading your Bible you first have to dust off the cover.

No comments: